Confidence is a trait that we need to build ourselves up to. It is especially difficult to display confidence when we are in less-than-great situations. Whether you made a mistake, or you feel as though your end goal is light years away, here are some tips to help boost your confidence in any situation.
1. STOP COMPARING YOURSELF TO OTHERS
Someone once gave me this advice, and once I really implemented it in my life and let the real ME and my expertise shine, I was able to grow. Everyone is different and carries unique strengths so don't just settle for blending in when the best version of you is the AUTHENTIC you!
2. RELAX, GO WITH THE FLOW, & DON'T LET THE LITTLE THINGS BRING YOU DOWN
There will be times when a client isn't 100% happy with their hair, and of course it really hurts me deep inside, but I learned that I can't take it to heart. At times it could be a simple toner fix for my client to be the happiest person alive! I learned to focus on the solution rather than the problem. Don't hide from your problems; instead, fix them, and you will feel incredibly more confident and stronger after resolving the issue.
3. LOVE YOURSELF!
You are a gift and nothing would be the same without your existence. At times I wonder who my clients would go to if I did not exist! As silly as this questions is, it boosts up my self-esteem and confidence to know that they appreciate my art and come to me (and only me) because they are CONFIDENT that I will boost their CONFIDENCE! When you wake up in the morning, make it your ultimate goal to have a positive impact on others.
4. BE POSITIVE AND LOOK FOR THE BEST IN EVERY SITUATION
At times it may seem easier said then done, but it's much better to see the glass half full than half empty. If an unexpected situation occurs with your clients hair, DON'T PANIC. Panicking will only make the situation worse and worry your client. Take a step back, breath, pull yourself together, and find a solution to the problem.
5. DO WHAT YOU LOVE. LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO WASTE IT ON ANYTHING OTHER THAN YOUR PURPOSE.
This is the motto I live by everyday. To live a joyful life, you must enjoy every moment of it. When you do what you love, your confidence will strengthen because you are staying true to yourself.
My last word of advice: Be confident in any situation (even when you're not feeling 100% confident)! I promise that your clients will pick up your energy. If you aren't confident, your client will feel uncomfortable and uneasy in the chair. Be strong, courageous, and let the TRUE you show through the confident REAL you.
My responses to three of your "Ask Larisa" questions:
1) Victoria A. asked: "I am a hairstylist in Miami, Florida. I'm new to the social media game and I'm trying to get my work out there, but the quality of pictures I'm taking is horrible! I wanted to know if you can let me in on some tips and tricks on how to take good quality pictures. Do you use natural light? What kind of camera is best to use? And what's your fav. app for camera and video? Thank you ”
LL: I actually just use my iPhone 6 and just sharpen my photos. Natural lighting is important! Practice makes perfect. Check out my previous blog Five Instagram Insights for more details about the apps I use. Xo
2) Pahnia E. asked: "I'm an apprentice hairdresser in Australia. I've seen your work all over Instagram, and I love how shiny and full you make your clients' hair and how big you get curls/waves. I'm always looking for ways to improve, so I just wanted to ask if it's all done with just a hairdryer and a certain brush, or is it done with a styling tool like a curler or even another way other then those two? I'd love to hear back from you."
LL: I blowdry using extra body volume mousse and then section large sections and curl away from the face. I pin and set. Hairspray lightly. Let the curls cool down and brush out, and you have voluminous hair. Xo
3) Cynthia C. asked: "What tips do you have to blow dry frizzy, curly hair without using a flat iron? And what products do you use??"
LL: I hate flat irons. They are so bad for your hair! I love sleek products for curly hair. My favorite products for frizzy hair is the "It's a 10" line. Check out their line. It's perfect for frizzy hair and then be patient and be sure to put your full muscles into the blow dry sectioning small sections and getting each section extremely sleek, soft, and dry. Good luck. Xo